The Certificate in Principles of Public Relations is an entry-level certificate designed to demonstrate a fundamental level of knowledge for graduates entering the public relations profession and related fields. The Universal Accreditation Board (UAB) administers the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations. Earning the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations gives new graduates an advantage in a competitive job market. It also helps university public relations programs with their internal assessment efforts.
It is easy for universities to participate in the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations program. A faculty coordinator designated by the university for the Certificate program. The coordinator's responsibilities are to:
- Certify that students are undergraduate or master's students within six months (before or after) graduation, majoring in public relations or a related field.
- Certify that students are a dues-paid member of the Public Relations Student Society of America or dues-paid student member of another UAB Participating Organization, such as the Florida Public Relations Association or the Southern Public Relations Federation.
- Organize the university’s preparatory course or ensure students have access to the online course.
- Certify that students have taken the preparatory course or online course.
- Collect all student applications and payments from the students in school.
- Forward all student applications and payments to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to the UAB at PRSA, 120 Wall Street, 21 Floor, New York, NY 10005.
If an in-person preparatory class is offered, the UAB has no specific requirement as to how the preparatory course is administered. Some schools offer the Certificate program course for academic credit (S/U), while some rely on Accredited members of the local Chapter to conduct the study sessions.
The Certificate in Principles of Public Relations Study Guide is available from which to build a prep course on basic knowledge of public relations principles with particular emphasis on the four‐step process of public relations and on ethics.
The Certificate in Principles of Public Relations: Faculty 411 webinar
This 10-minute webinar covers everything you need to you know about eligibility and how your students can participate.
Best Practices for Professors webinar for the Certificate in Principles of Public Relations
Listen to the Top 3 Tips from a professor with a 100% pass rate.